Wednesday, July 28, 2010

I hear voices in my head and they tell me to do things...

I've always found it interesting how the process of creating and building a story is similar to a mental disorder if you go by strict textbook definitions. The saying does go, "There's a fine line between genius and insanity." And you know what? It's true!

(I don't consider myself to be a genius by the way, but I'm intelligent enough and no, I'm not insane, thank you very much).

I often find I need to keep myself in check and not allow my imagination to run away with me. Just because an idea or image pops into my head, doesn't mean it should be used within the story. I'll throw out ideas, sift them and decide which would work. There's definitely a lot of self-management involved with being an author, and I can well imagine it's the same with any kind of art form. It certainly was for me when I was working as a graphic designer.

So yesterday, after spending weeks on research and character development, my main character spoke to me for the first time. I love it when that happens, it's the coolest feeling when a character comes to life and gives me the opportunity to fall in love with them. He's real now, alive and kicking in my head.

Now, I'm sorry to say this, but because he wasn't completely real to me yet, the prologue has to be rewritten. I'm fine with that, like I said in another post, I often go back and tweak things here and there as I go along. It's important to me to literally weave a story together rather than making it all up. See, that's the difference between an author and a writer. Authors understand creative writing is a craft.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Roses are red,
Violets are blue,
If you're not a spammer,
I'd love to hear from you.