Tuesday, October 23, 2012

How to Make Money from Art

You don't.

Art itself doesn't sell. Never has, never will. All forms of art, whether it's a novel, a poem or a painting, is in the eye of the beholder, and it's impossible to put a price tag on that. Art will never sell.

Products sell. A hardcover book, an anthology of poems, a framed painting of a prairie landscape, these are all products, tangible, real, and they are things you put a price tag on.

The question isn't, How do I make money from my art? In fact, it's not a question at all. It's a matter of refining your art so it can be turned into a tangible product with a price tag.

Do I feel my writing has reached that point where it can be turned into a hardcover novel at the bookstore for 29.99? I honestly don't know. Time will tell, I guess. I do feel 100% ready to move on to the next level, go from simply sharing my art to selling products. Like any artist, I hope for the best and the day I can reap the rewards of my hard work.

Long story short, I still have things to refine in my writing, pesky little details for the most part, and it might be awhile yet before you see my face in a bookstore. But if you're willing to stick with me, hard work always pays off eventually, and we'll see the rewards together.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Roses are red,
Violets are blue,
If you're not a spammer,
I'd love to hear from you.